Heywood Wakefield Company started in the Tudhope building and expanded to a new factory on Atherley Road where the Lloyd Loom was occupied
Postcard Memories is a weekly series of views of historical postcards and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some have already been published by the Orillia Museum of Art and History and in the book Postcard Memories Orillia.
The Heywood Wakefield Company of Massachusetts was a successful producer of wood and rattan furniture in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
In 1921, the company expanded and acquired the Lloyd Manufacturing Company in Menominee, Michigan, which made rattan furniture and prams.
In 1921 an assembly plant to sell Lloyd’s products was established in Orillia on West Street South in part of the Tudhope Building.
Marshall Burns Lloyd was born in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1858 and, when he was still a baby, his family moved to Meaford, Ontario.
An inventor of unusual initiative, Marshall invented and sold fishing spears, woven laundry baskets and box spring beds, before moving to Toronto at the age of 16. In Toronto, he sold soap, jewelry, and general merchandise door-to-door.
Moving to northern Ontario, he became a letter carrier and used a team of dogs to deliver mail between Port Arthur and Pigeon River. Then he moved to Winnipeg and made several thousand dollars selling real estate, before buying a farm in Grafton, ND
His parents moved to this farm and Marshall moved to Minneapolis, inventing a yarn weaving machine that gave him a partnership in CO White Man. Co.
In 1900, he bought the company and founded Lloyd Man. Co., later moving the factory to Menominee. It was here that he invented a machine known as the Lloyd Loom to make wicker furniture and prams.
The Orillia plant expanded to this new factory built on Atherley Road, west of Forest Avenue, in 1947, and became the largest producer of prams in Canada.